[clug] Linux on new school computers

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Mon Nov 26 22:58:30 GMT 2007

Pilcher, Fred wrote:
> Rod wrote:
>
>> The greatest good the new government can do for the
>> australian student is to have linux as the operating system
>> on their computers. How can we as a group help make this happen?
>> I think one of the best ways to do this is by politics. Do
>> any of you know or have access to any of the labor party
>> politicians? What do you think is the best way? Any suggestioons?
>>

> Damn good idea. I think the best thing may be to approach Kate Lundy -
> perhaps write her a letter outlining the proposition and the benefits,
> and asking for a meeting.

I think you will find that schools are a state government issue and you
should be writing to the local education minister, Andrew Barr.  The
shadow is Vicki Dunne.
While the state-federal balance on education will probably be addressed
in the next few years I doubt the federal government will be
particularly interested in meddling to this level.

This discussion has come up in the past, it seems to rear it's head
every few months.  From memory there are several people working from
within the education system also pushing these issues.  There is also a
Linux Australia education subcommittee, http://www.openeducation.org.au/.

I also agree with other posters, you need well thought out reasoning for
this and price isn't really a factor.  I suspect that getting the
government departments to change document formats or operating systems
would be an easier target than the schools.

David