[clug] Oracle on Linux [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Adam Thomas adam at babylon.alphacomplex.org
Wed May 9 01:19:34 GMT 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 10:01:51AM +1000, Rousak, Boris wrote:
> Has anyone tried the whole Oracle on Linux thing?
Yes, at work we have 3 Oracle DBs on Linux systems.

> And separately has anyone tried RAC?
Yes, the three DBs are run off two RAC instances with an OCFS2 partiton
each and 5 shared ASM disks each.

> What was the general feeling about stability (of Oracle that is not
> Linux :) )?
I can't vouch for the stability of Oracle as I've only inherited the
sysadmin side of the system. When the system was setup the admins had a
lot of late nights debugging driver, hardware, os and application
problems. The system is reasonably stable now but any downtime for
maintinance takes hours when the same maintinance could be done on a
Master/Slave system in minutes.

If all you need is HA look at a Master/Slave system first. If you need
load balancing be prepared for a monster system which eats you time.

> And if RAC was used does anyone feel its an issue that the DBMS is
> suddenly administering your disks instead of "insert favourite volume
> manager name"? So does recovery become an issue?
Oracle's rman backup system supports RAC instances. I'd suggest you
stick with that for your backup/restore procedure. This makes the disk
managment a moot point.