[clug] Oracle on Linux [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Mon May 7 11:18:03 GMT 2007

Rousak, Boris wrote:
> Greetings to all,
>
> A quick question to collective conciseness:
>
> Has anyone tried the whole Oracle on Linux thing?

I've installed it on my FC6 laptop, but only for fun.
> And separately has anyone tried RAC?
>
> What was the general feeling about stability (of Oracle that is not
> Linux :) )?
>
> And if RAC was used does anyone feel its an issue that the DBMS is
> suddenly administering your disks instead of "insert favourite volume
> manager name"? So does recovery become an issue?

RAC is Real Application Cluster, which as far as I understand it, is,
well, a clustering technology.  The bit of Oracle that does "Automatic
Storage Management" is ASM.  I don't think that RAC absolutely requires
ASM, although it does require some form of shared storage, which can be
raw, or can be a cluster file system, for which the Oracle solution is
the Oracle Cluster File System.  At work our hand waving plan is to use
Sun/Storagetek SAMFS/QFS, and OCFS is not available on Solaris anyway.
But I am basing most of this on a few weeks of training and almost zero
experience, so take it as you will!

This is quite good: http://www.lugod.org/presentations/ocfs2/ocfs2_lug.pdf

chs
Andrew