[clug] rotating log files

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Mar 23 08:40:14 GMT 2007

I have  used a script for years that renames log files with a date
stamp, on systems that have no dateext option.  The problem with a
script run by the postrotate command in logrotate is that it doesn't
seem to have a way of getting to the file name.  This is no problem
if each file has a section in the logrotate configuration.  If you
have a catchall section or a section that covers a number of log
files then the script can't work.

On 2007/Mar/23, at 3:23 AM, Robert Edwards wrote:

> Matthew Oliver wrote:
>> One advantage of logrotate is you can rotate at a certain size
>> rather then date, or both.
>> You can tell it to rotate when a log gets to a certain size, and
>> then even compress each of the old rotated logs.
>
> This could also be done with time/date stamping, or with a simple
> increasing serial number. I still can't see the sense in renaming all
> the previous log files.

I think the origins of logrotate come from a time when disks were
smaller and more expensive and it remains becuase some systems like
embedded systems need a simple log rotation system that will work in
a very limited environment.