[clug] rotating log files

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Fri Mar 23 08:11:28 GMT 2007

Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> This could also be done with time/date stamping, or with a simple
> increasing serial number. I still can't see the sense in renaming all
> the previous log files.

One reason I can think of is that it means the most recent log file is
always named <blah>.0, the next most recent <blah>.1, etc. No need to
sort by the timestamp in the file name or mtime to find the most recent
log. I guess it could make for lazier script programming.

I'm not sure that it's worth much, but there it is.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au