[clug] MtM - content update

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Thu Mar 15 04:31:55 GMT 2007

On Thursday 15 March 2007 15:15, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> Ubuntu (and Knoppix, I guess) is known to me, I have tried it, and
> I'm confident that I could give it to a Windows-using friend and
> expect that they won't clobber their Windows install by accident (or
> end up with a half-installed Linux, relying on me to walk them
> through recovery).
Yeah, fair call, though I think the other distros such as Suse and Fedora and
Mandriva are just as reliable. Hey, they aren't Kororaa anyway ;)

> I like "live CDs". They're safe in the hands of the unsuspecting.
Yeah, the site does strongly promote checking it out with a Live CD.

> I dislike installers, especially CDs that boot and reinstall an
> operating system automatically without any interaction ("where did my
> last 6 years of work just disappear to?"). Been there, done that.
That's the same if you're using an installer OS or a livecd with an installer
anyway. Gotta install it sometime.

> Agreed, but at the very least make a distinction between "Live CD"
> distributions versus "Installers".
Ok, yeah I can do that, though the only "Live CD only" distro is Knoppix. All
the others have installable livecds and installer cds, like Ubuntu will have
to do under installers, though their desktop cd is an installer. Man that was
a confusing sentence. I could go back and fix it but I can't be bothered,
though the amount of time I've spent typing this I could have just gone and
fixed it, but I'm sure you'll agree that it's now too late. Moving on.

> Live CD = nice toy to try out and see if you can grok the new OS.
> Installer = hand grenade, which someone has handed to you, sans pin.
Agreed if someone's just wanting to check out Linux yeah, but if they want to
use it, they have install sometime ;)

> "Dear HR department,
>
> "I have upgraded my home computer to Linux, so now the timesheet
>   spreadsheet no longer contains those silly macros that you
>   use to import my work hours into the payroll system."
>
> Nah, don't think that will fly ;)
You would have the same problem if you're using a Mac, so why is this a
problem for Linux? Why are they doing it at home anyway? And why does the
boss expect them to have Microsoft Office? Is the company going to pay for a
license fee for them? Either way they could still use Crossover office to run
Microsoft Office under Linux, or write the times down and do a time sheet at
work, or quit their job ;)

> Hyperlinks -> Glossary/Index
>
> I know, easy enough to make more work when I'm not the one doing it ;)
Ahh yeah hehe ;) Thanks for the feedback though, really appreciate it.

-c