[clug] MtM - content update

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Mar 15 04:15:03 GMT 2007

On 15/03/2007, at 14:41 , Chris Smart wrote:

> I don't think it is wise to single out a single distribution for
> people to
> try. Why not Fedora? Why not Suse? Why not Mandriva? Why only Ubuntu?

Ubuntu (and Knoppix, I guess) is known to me, I have tried it, and
I'm confident that I could give it to a Windows-using friend and
expect that they won't clobber their Windows install by accident (or
end up with a half-installed Linux, relying on me to walk them
through recovery).

I like "live CDs". They're safe in the hands of the unsuspecting.

I dislike installers, especially CDs that boot and reinstall an
operating system automatically without any interaction ("where did my
last 6 years of work just disappear to?"). Been there, done that.

> One of the great things about Linux is the variety, and all of
> these ditros work
> very differently, so I think we should offer them all the the end
> user to see
> which one they prefer.

Agreed, but at the very least make a distinction between "Live CD"
distributions versus "Installers".

Live CD = nice toy to try out and see if you can grok the new OS.
Installer = hand grenade, which someone has handed to you, sans pin.

> Or you re-design your spreadsheet and fax template in a new open
> format ;)

"Dear HR department,

"I have upgraded my home computer to Linux, so now the timesheet
  spreadsheet no longer contains those silly macros that you
  use to import my work hours into the payroll system."

Nah, don't think that will fly ;)

> Still I tried to make it so you could go to any section directly, but
> obviously if a new user skips straight to 'get started' they won't
> undertand
> some of the terminology, though it has been explained in the previous
> sections.

Hyperlinks -> Glossary/Index

I know, easy enough to make more work when I'm not the one doing it ;)

Alex