[clug] Ubuntu at ANU halls and colleges

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Mar 13 03:01:33 GMT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 01:49:11PM +1100, Ian wrote:
> Bob,
> I'm also in Fenner Hall. ra0 was working when I updated my laptop last
> week. At the moment I can ping it (150.203.164.9), but just get a
> connection refused when I try to connect to it on port 3128. I also
> just tried SSHing into tridge and connecting from there with the same
> result, though I don't know whether that is normal from tridge.

We had a disk failure on the machine providing the ubuntu proxy this
morning, the other services this machine performs were more important to get
online fast (primary print server and dns for the department) than the
proxy, I am now working on the squid setup and it should be available again
shortly.

	See You
	    Steve

> Cheers,
> -Ian
>
> On 12/03/07, Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> >Robin Shannon wrote:
> >> I used ubuntu at fenner hall all of last year and because download is
> >> so expensive I put Acquire::http::Proxy "http://ra0.anu.edu.au:3128/";
> >> in my apt.conf so that it would use the free anu mirror instead. This
> >> seems to have stopped working this year. Also now other .edu.au
> >> domains no longer seem to be free so I can't point sources.list to the
> >> uwa mirror. Does anyone else know of anyway of downloading from the
> >> ubuntu repos on the ANU network that it is free (as in beer since it
> >> is already free as in speech)?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> -rjs.
> >>

> >Not sure why "ra0" wouldn't be working for Fenner Hall. What is the IP
> >address you get there?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Bob Edwards.
> >--
> >

> --
> On the day *I* go to work for Microsoft, faint oinking sounds will be
> heard from far overhead, the moon will not merely turn blue but
> develop polkadots, and hell will freeze over so solid the brimstone
> will go superconductive.
>     -- Erik Raymond, 2005
> --
> Hi! I'm your friendly neighbourhood signature virus.
> Copy me to your signature file and help me spread!
> --
> --

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
and there were no people on the payroll
and there were no monkeys on our backs
and i said, show me what you look like without skin
   Garden Of Simple - Revelling - Ani