[clug] Grub trouble revisited

Peter Anderson peter.anderson at internode.on.net
Sun Jan 28 14:03:40 GMT 2007

Late last week we had a very short power failure down here in Batemans
Bay. The up-shot was that it corrupted some system file(s) on the
Windows XP side of my dual boot desktop PC. The only fix was a
re-install of XP. After the re-install I could not boot Ubuntu on the
second hard disk - I totally forgot about the MBR! (you idiot).

I Googled for several days trying different solutions but nothing seemed
to work. Then I half remembered a note I had saved in my personal "How
To" directory (on both XP and Ubuntu) about fixing Grub. The note turned
out to be a saved copy of Mike Carden's post to this list on 22 Sept.
2006 on "Grub trouble". His notes were clear and succinct and better
still fixed the problem.

Thanks Mike!

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson

E: peter.anderson at internode.on.net
W: http://www.users.on.net/~peter.anderson/
<http://www.users.on.net/%7Epeter.anderson/>
P: +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M: +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
Prince/, ch. 6