[clug] apt naming convention

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Wed Jan 10 23:44:36 GMT 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 10:50:01AM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 10:25 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> >> Etch already has Apace 2.2.3, happily.
>> Ok I got it.. apt-get doesn't tell me the versions, I need to use
>> apt-cache showpkg apache2 and that tells me. Now I'm with it! :) Feel much
>> more comfortable now.

> dpkg -l gives versions too, albeit without epochs.  You can also find
> the version in the topmost entry
> in /usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog.Debian.gz

And apt-cache policy will show you the versions available in the
various repositories you've added. apt-cache madison will show
you the version in _each_ repository you've added.

Useful if you think one of your source mirrors isn't updating.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/