[clug] Re: BarCampCanberra 07

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 10:13:41 GMT 2007

On 1/8/07, Andrew Boyd <facibus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm one of the pro-tem Organisers Lite (TM) for BarCampCanberra 07.
>
> We want to hold it on the weekend of 3-4 March this year to coincide
> with the other BarCampAustralia events.
>
> At this stage the Organisers Lite (TM) are looking for a venue. After
> that it can self-organise in true unconference style. Perhaps some
> semi-organisation to ensure that there are some decent t-shirts. But
> after that, blissful self-organisation.
>
> Details such as they are and a few random thoughts at
> http://barcamp.org/BarCampAustralia and
> http://barcampcanberra.org/blog
>
> If anyone has thoughts, suggestions, ideas, amusing anecdotes or a
> venue we'd love to hear from you. Please forward this email to anyone
> you think might become involved, be interested, or at least not openly
> hostile :)

Heres my list of traps for young players.
PLI insurance changes may make it tricky to get a venue where you can
sleep over in the hall. We have a caravan park nearby so are ok but it
is harder to cover the cost of everyone sleeping with a per head cost
charged by the park.
Make sure the hall has an accessible phoneline/bandwidth potential.
So far we are enjoying the people around the Moana area in trying to
get the bandwidth happening, some great and helpful folks but it
certainly isnt a done deal yet so fingers crossed. There is likely to
be quite a few people come and visit from the caravan park or cafe or
surf club so we may be doing something which is more like an SFD, a
bit oriented to newer folk, with some other things for geek to geek
banter. The caravan park changed hands so the new folk booked in a
youth group on the same weekend. They will have most of the cabins so
we will be in tents. Also means we will have a younger group likely to
visit for at least some of the event. Be gentle around parquet dance
flooring. Thats about it so far =)