[clug] Advertising Linux

Edward Lang edlang at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 07:38:54 GMT 2007

Hi,

On 2/23/07, Steve Walsh <Steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:

> I think the plumber hit to nail on the head. It's all about the tools
> you use.
>
> Use the wrong tools, and the job gets done badly. Use the right tools,
> and it gets done right, first go.

Hmm -- so if I have the right tools I can be my own plumber? Win!

I'd probably need some tools first. So I'd have to pay for those.

I'd probably need some training first. So there's that cost.

I'd probably need a licence to practice plumbing. So there's that
on-going fee.

I'd probably need indemnity and medical insurance. So there's
those on-going bills.

I'd probably need to pay my union fees. So there's some more on-going bills.

All of a sudden it seems like plumbing is a fairly
expensive, restricted proposition!

It also sounds like the experience one encounters when learning and
licencing a commercial software product for the first time.

I think the only persons in that advertisment I thought of being truly
similar to GNU/Linux -- with emphasis on the GNU side of things -- were the
poet (albiet in his ivory tower) and Al Sharpton. The rest, meh.

On the other hand, perhaps I'm so out of touch that I've failed to notice
that the GNU ideals have fallen by the wayside. I was never particular good
at being right!

 - Edward.

--
Edward C. Lang