[clug] TGA - 2 x 1GB SO-DIMM

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Thu Feb 22 05:32:22 GMT 2007

Graham Anderson wrote:
> I'd like to try them in my Apple 12" G4 PB
> A brief look at
> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/670344.html
> Cheapest memory for a 12" G4 powerbook?
> suggests that they should work
Hey Graham,
Does your Powerbook user DDR1 or DDR2 ram? The ram mentioned in the
thread you posted is DDR1 (model VS1GSDS400), not DDR2. If PBs use DDR1
then I'm pretty sure that means it won't work. I know the pins are the
same number, but I think the notch on the ram is different.

These specs seem to suggest it is DDR1:
http://support.apple.com/specs/powerbook/PowerBook_G4_12-inch_1_33GHz.html

Maybe check your model number (M9184LL/A ?) online and see if you can
find the specs.

If you (or anyone else) wants to try them in an Apple laptop, then
you'll need to get a copy of MemtestOSX (http://www.memtestosx.org/),
which _used_ to be free (and I did have a copy of it somewhere), but now
you have to pay a $1.39 fee to download it. If anyone has a copy maybe
they could bring it along to CLUG?

-c