[clug] Getting started

Pascal Klein 4pascal at tpg.com.au
Sat Feb 17 01:14:21 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 03:31 +1100, Barry Campbell wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I am in dire need of help getting started with Linux.  I have tried
>  several distro's (at present trying to use "Simply Mepis" ) but with
>  this distro as with all others I have tried I just can't get virtually
>  any further than the install.  My immediate goal is to install
>  "Crossover" in order that I may thus install DVD copy / burning
>  programs but like with "Wine" I cannot get the install to work.  I
>  have tried all varies ways of running the install scripts for both the
>  aforementioned programs but to no avail.  I am sure that my problem is
>  a very basic one but I am without a clue.  So can anyone help me?! I
>  am willing to pay to have someone get me started.

As Paul stated the best option is to give the free software alternatives
a run before you resort to using Wine. If you believe Linux is a better
operating system then give the applications that run natively on it the
better of the doubt too. :)

> As a footnote, I have been using computers going back to the days of my
>  first system a 286 with if my memory serves me correctly 4Mb of Ram. I
>  THEN knew DOS backwards and have built / upgraded repaired many
>  systems since so please don't think of me a complete dummy .........
>  just a dummy when it comes to Linux. Hope someone can / will help me.
> Regards Barry

Cool. I'd suggest coming along to the next CLUG meeting, possibly even
bringing your box and I'm sure Paul and I could sort you out.

The best option personally is to install Fedora Core 6 or Ubuntu 6.10 or
OpenSuse 10.x. :)

Btw MEPIS is Debian derived, or with the newer releases, Ubuntu derived.

Regards.

-Pascal