[clug] Asus Eee PC first impressions

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Dec 17 23:30:19 GMT 2007

Most apps that I have tried work fine. My machine has stopped hanging on
me, so could have been a software issue (I have updated everything I
could on it).

Main complaint is that there is no ssh server available in the standard
Asus repository, but I could try another (all based on Xandros). Also,
no virtual consoles (eeek!- the main reason that Linux was written!).

Other than that, a cheap and cheerful little machine (as some would
say).

I will eventually (over Christmas), dump Xandros and install Kubuntu
and see how that goes. Wireless won't be supported without ndis-wrappers
so that is not going to be pleasant.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.