[clug] Asus Eee PC first impressions

Adam Thomas adam.lloyd at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 06:44:12 GMT 2007

On 10/12/2007, Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> So I put my name down at the Civic Myer store for an Asus Eee PC
> several weeks ago (and my name was first down, apparently). The
> December 2nd date was a no-show and I was promised a phone call
> by the Wed.

The Civic store people were useless for us. I put my name down for two
a week ago and was told they would call around the 20th when the next
shipment came in. I went in today to find out that a shipment had come
in to the store and they had sold a bunch off the shelf. No phone
call. Turns out I needed to pre-pay to have mine secured. I hadn't
really planed for that so I could only pay for one on EFTPOS ($800 a
day limit on my card). Slightly frustrated I came home and my partner
suggested I call the Belconnen store.

I called them and Stewart (very nice guy!) answered and let me know
they had 20 units in stock (2 white and 18 black). We had enough cash
(in a till at home) to pay for one but my partner had to dip into her
savings to transfer enough money into her main account to get the
other one. I wasn't game to try my card lest I meet the wrath of over
draw style charges.

I rushed into civic and got my warehouse order canceled then headed to
Belco where Stewart had put my name on two. We got there about 45 mins
after my phone call and had purchased two black EEEs. In that time the
Belco store had sold 4 black units!

Now to start charging them.