[clug] meeting with Kate

Caroline Le Couteur clecoute at austethical.com.au
Wed Dec 5 22:14:00 GMT 2007

It is great that you are meeting with Kate Lundy.  I apologize if what I have to say has been said before at the beginning of the discussion but I think that the non technical points you could make include:

FOSS software means that all the family can have the same software as there school student which has got to make computer use easier for everyone.  We don't want a 'digital divide' at home where the student has latest MS everything and the rest of the family is on old versions of MS.

Because most FOSS software is not as demanding as the latest MS software (Vista) it can run on computers that people already have, and if computers are purchased then they are likely to be usable for longer.  This is important both economically and environmentally.  If Australia is to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions the last thing it should be doing is buying a million new computers.  See http://update.unu.edu/archive/issue31_5.htm which says "Among those involved in the UNU study, there is broad agreement that measures to extend the useful life of existing equipment are the most important pieces of a proposed framework for the environmental management of computers in the future."

Caroline Le Couteur
Executive Director
Australian Ethical Investment

Tel: +61 2 6201 1921