[clug] Looking to buy a GPS

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 29 02:06:18 GMT 2007

Sam Couter wrote:
> matt at kororaa.org <matt at kororaa.org> wrote:
>> Hey Cluggers,
>>
>> I'm interesting in getting a GPS, one that can both be used in Car and
>> hand held.
>
> I want one too, for a motorbike. Must be Linux friendly as I just don't
> do Windows anymore.

Almost all GPS units with a data interface (not all have a data
interface) are "Linux-friendly": Linux (and other open O/Ss) have
the gpsd (GPS Daemon) that can convert almost any GPS data format
into any other and allows one or more GPS receivers to be simultaneously
accessed from one or more apps (something most WinCE-based GPS receivers
can't do). So you can have your mapping app running, and a satellite
tracker and a track logger all going together. Pretty neat, really.
Works with serial, USB and bluetooth connected GPS receivers.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.