[clug] some Firefox questions

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 01:01:56 GMT 2007

> 1) I want to get the download prompt when I click a link to a non html filetype,
>     and never launch an application (I will then configure some application
>     helpers myself). For example, pdf files now launch a viewer and I want to
>     stop this. My preferences show that no file types are configured.

Does this do what you require?
Tools -> Options -> Content -> File Types -> Manage -> Change Action
-> Save on my computer.

> 2) Typing a bad URL activates a search. I want this to never happen.

Odd, my version 2.0.0.4 doesn't do this.

> 3) Whenever I update Firefox it goes to a Mozilla webpage rather than to my
>     configured home. I do not like this "call home" feature, is there an option
>     to disable this?

Three clicks to Tools-> Options-> Main  and change the startup page.
While updates resetting to the Firefox portal page may be annoying,
after hearing Mitch Baker from Mozilla explain that the searches from
that page fund the browser, I'm not so annoyed. It's trivial to
change.

--
MC