[clug] Looking to buy a GPS

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 00:53:48 GMT 2007

On 8/28/07, David Tulloh <david at tulloh.id.au> wrote:

> The best in car GPS units will hook into the car's systems, this way
> they can use the car's tacho to do dead reckoning to supplement the GPS
> results.

This is an interesting facet of in-car navigation that I'd not
previously heard of. I'm guessing it's more likely to be speedo than
tacho though, since engine rpm (what a tachometer is intended to
measure) are unlikely to have a direct correlation with speed or
position.

So then all you'd need is a flux gate compass and you'd have a nice
ground based backup to whatever your gps is trying to tell you.

I'm still not sure I'd like to let it drive the car though...

--
MC