[clug] Looking to buy a GPS

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 12:54:51 GMT 2007

I can only tell you about the one I've been using.  It's a TomTom
One.  I discovered it runs linux after getting it.  I needed it to
navigate in a very difficult places.  It has been very reliable and
easy to use.  We had a discussion about it a short time ago on clug.
They have the source available and people have written applications
for it.  It uses proprietary maps and the main navigation application
is closed source.  Still it's pretty reliable in fairly difficult
environments.  It is said to run for about 2 hours on it's batteries
(which are not removeable).  They make a very similar one called a
TomTom Rider for bikes and motor bikes which allegedly lasts 5
hours.  The software to update maps runs on Window and Mac and is not
pretty.

Kim