[clug] [OT] why "Do Not Call" register?

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 23 07:49:05 GMT 2007

Robert Edwards wrote:
> Seems to me that the "Do Not Call" register (in the news recently
> because some naughty phone marketer is ignoring it) is set up all
> wrong.

Of course it's wrong - for consumers.  If it was the other way around,
and we had an opt-in 'do call' register, no-one would bother.  The
advertising industry sees this as a form of suicide and fights it with a
variety of fairly spurious arguments mostly based around the theme of
"but we have to be allowed to call them in order to continue our
business".  And even then, an opt-in only list would still not prevent
the same kind of cold calls that we get anyway.

The fundamental problem is that we're dealing with industry regulation
governed by the industry - in other words, without any real penalties
for non-compliance.  All the big advertisers go through subcontractors
to shield themselves - the subcontractors are using whatever methods
work because they get paid by the sale, not by the amount of
compliance.  All these people treat breaking the law as just another
option to get a sale - multiply the penalty of getting caught by the
probability and you get the actual cost, and that's fairly miniscule
most of the time.  Agreed, the do not call register has theoretically
pushed that probability of being caught up, but as it is the consumer
that has to do the compliance check and reporting the probability is
practically unchanged.  In the meantime, they'll lie to us about their
use of the Do Not Call list in the same way that they lie to us about
just about everything else that they do and sell.

The reality is that there's no way to prevent these calls, even if phone
numbers were cryptographically sparse and the cost of dialling an
unconnected number was ten times that of dialling a real number.
Companies would collect the phone numbers of their own clients,
databases would be made and then sold on and merged and so forth and
sooner or later we'd be getting the cold calls again.

Just another aspect of the problem,

Paul