[clug] partitioning

Michael James clug3 at james.st
Thu Aug 23 03:11:45 GMT 2007

This partitioning system has served me well for years.
Is there any reason to look at LVM or something else?

/dev/hda1		64M	ext2	/boot
/dev/hda2		64M	ext2	/altOS/boot
/dev/hda3		2Gig	swap	swap

/dev/hda5		16G	reiserfs	/
/dev/hda6		16G	reiserfs	/altOS

/dev/hda7		>200G	reiserfs	/home

Considering that a 750G disk can be got for $320 at the computer markets
 the /home partition that mops up the rest of the disk can still be huge.
And it's a trivial sacrifice to put 16Gig aside
 to have space for a non-destructive OS upgrade.
So when I upgrade I install into  hda2 and hda6,
 and boot with them as /boot and / respectively.
Then I mount the old system as /altOS and pick through it
 when I'm configuring the new system.

Having a separate /boot partition used to be a necessity
 in the days of buggy BIOSes, but still seems worthwhile.
It obviated a slow return from hibernation probelm a while ago.
It's also a good way to build a dual boot system,
 put Windows into hda3 and slide GRUB in underneath it.

I've done much the same thing using RAID,
 either hardware RAID5 or soft mirroring.

michaelj

--
Konqueror has gotten so clever for its own boots
  that it has forgotten what a web browser is for.