[clug] Installing Linux

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Aug 21 13:24:47 GMT 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 08:39:46PM +1000, Steven Hanley wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 08:32:39PM +1000, mc wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:25:12 pm Julian Milthorpe wrote:
> > > how
> > > to install a Unix/Linux OS on my mac G4, I was given the mailing list
> > > address to contact CLUG, as I was told that you could help.
> >
> > Hi Julian.
> >
> > I have used Ubuntu Linux on my G3 Powerbook for quite a while and I currently
> > have the latest version "Feisty Fawn" installed.
> >
> > You might download it from here:
> >
> > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/7.04/release/
> >
> > Unless a mirror at the ANU is easier for you. (Cue ANU peoples)
>
> Hmm, when I first mirrored Feisty onto mirror.linux.org.au (hosted inside
> ANU) there was no ppc release, that appears to have changed. I am starting a
> script to grab the ppc images now, check
> http://mirror.linux.org.au/ubuntu-releases/7.04 tomorrow sometime.

Okay the md5sum file is not updated, nor is the html in the README at the
top, however the three powerpc iso's are there now.

[   ] ubuntu-7.04-alternate-powerpc.iso       18-Apr-2007 21:03  698M
[   ] ubuntu-7.04-desktop-powerpc.iso         16-Apr-2007 03:50  688M
[   ] ubuntu-7.04-server-powerpc.iso          16-Apr-2007 01:12  531M

And I was it appears wrong about them not being released at the same time,
it is simply that they were placed in the ports directory rather than the
main releases directory. Thus most people who mirror the iso images do not
also get these.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
are you weary as water, in a faucet left dripping, with an incessant sadness