[clug] Installing Linux

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Aug 21 10:39:46 GMT 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 08:32:39PM +1000, mc wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:25:12 pm Julian Milthorpe wrote:
> > how
> > to install a Unix/Linux OS on my mac G4, I was given the mailing list
> > address to contact CLUG, as I was told that you could help.
>
> Hi Julian.
>
> I have used Ubuntu Linux on my G3 Powerbook for quite a while and I currently
> have the latest version "Feisty Fawn" installed.
>
> You might download it from here:
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/7.04/release/
>
> Unless a mirror at the ANU is easier for you. (Cue ANU peoples)

Hmm, when I first mirrored Feisty onto mirror.linux.org.au (hosted inside
ANU) there was no ppc release, that appears to have changed. I am starting a
script to grab the ppc images now, check
http://mirror.linux.org.au/ubuntu-releases/7.04 tomorrow sometime.

> Installation is pretty much 'click and drool.' One caveat though is that
> proper support for flash is very hard to find. So far I can't get flash to
> work well enough to display YouTube or Google video. In all other respects
> it's great.

There are now a few open source Flash implementations that seem to be
advanced enough to play youtube/google video content among other things.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
guess i came out here to see some, stuff for myself