[clug] Backups [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 10 02:02:54 GMT 2007

Roppola, Antti - BRS wrote:
> Hi Nemo
>> I've also had enough DVD's bitrot on me that I'd be using dvdisaster
>> (http://dvdisaster.sourceforge.net/en/) somewhat paranoidly too
>>

> That's rather neat.
>
> I currently brute force using redundancy, redundancy and redundancy. I
> use a shell script Drake (CLUG) wrote a while ago, it just prompts for
> media until the source filesystem is multipart tarr'ed to discs:
> 	http://www.elder-gods.net/hastur/multitar

Interesting - it looks like I need to give my talk on dar again...

Dar can do a lot of what multitar does - compression, strong (Blowfish)
encryption, and automatic slicing at a given size (which acts on the
compressed size) - and more.  You can also get dar to automatically use
parchive (http://parchive.sourceforge.net/) or dvdisaster
(http://dvdisaster.sourceforge.net/en/index.html) to create the error
correction information, as well as cdrecord to actually burn the slice
off to your medium of choice.  And it saves SELinux security contexts, too.

If you're not going to use rsync or dd, IMO dar is the next thing.

Have fun,

Paul