[clug] GPS and temperature

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Apr 27 07:37:07 GMT 2007

Mike Carden wrote:

> And if I can dust off some of my 1980s radio practice, a crystal oven
> may be employed in high stability applications because it's not too
> difficult to regulate the temperature of something that you've heated
> to well above ambient but it's rather tricky to maintain an ambient of
> say 20 degrees because you'd need to both heat and cool the crystal to
> do so.

At university physics departments (and presumably similar situations
where accuracy is more important than dollars), they use liquid nitrogen
or helium to maintain a sensible ambient temperature for oscillators.

The availability of such liquids also provides first and second year
students with much entertainment :-)

Cameron