[clug] GPS and temperature

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 23:17:42 GMT 2007

David:

> There are limits to how much they can do, if the
> temperature changes too rapidly or the crystal is flawed the receiver
> will lose it's tracking.

And if I can dust off some of my 1980s radio practice, a crystal oven
may be employed in high stability applications because it's not too
difficult to regulate the temperature of something that you've heated
to well above ambient but it's rather tricky to maintain an ambient of
say 20 degrees because you'd need to both heat and cool the crystal to
do so.

Gee, I wonder why nobody ever made a handheld GPS with a crystal oven in it. :-)

--
MC