[clug] Dell Notebook AC Adapter Test

David Symons david.symons at liberatedcomputing.net
Thu Apr 26 05:16:14 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone attending CLUG tonight can help me out by allowing
me to test my Dell Inspiron 500m notebook with their compatible AC
Adapter.  The adapter model is PA-12 and adapters from the following
notebooks should be compatible:

    LATITUDE: D-400, D-500, D-600, X300
    PRECISION M20 MOBILE WORKSTATION
    INSPIRON:300M, 500M, 600M, 510M, 700M

The adapter specifications are:

    AC Input: 100 ~ 240V  50~60Hz
    Output:    19.5V    3.34A    65W

At powerup, the notebook has started to claim that it doesn't
recognise its AC adapter.  It still works off AC but won't charge the
battery.

Googling has revealed the need for either board replacement (no way)
or a new adapter  (feasible - there's plenty on eBay).  I put a
multimeter across it and it read 18V whereas it's supposed to output
19.5V.  So the new adapter option looks promising and it would be nice
to be able to make sure.

Many thanks, Dave.
--
David Symons