[clug] Higher level CGI frameworks?

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 10:20:51 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 19:32 +1000, Michael James wrote:
> On a LAMPerl, LAMPython, or LAMJava platform
>  what is a better web app development framework than CGI?

I'd say it depends on exactly what you want to do, "web app development
framework" is fairly vague.

--------------------------->8 snip
> Java servelets, that's what the boss wants.
> Is it just back to the horror of CGI in an unfamiliar language?

If you're doing the "fill in some info, decide which page to go to next,
fill in some more, display results" type of thing, Spring Web Flow is
fairly nice - which is Java-based. You can use a variety of layers with
it, e.g. JSPs, FreeMarker, or Velocity.

As above, whether it's the best thing to use would greatly depend on
exactly what you're trying to achieve.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
It does a decent job emulating Microsoft Office. My copy stopped working
and needs to be reinstalled.