[clug] hot-swap (hotplug) sata, Intel ICH7 controller

Steve Granger steveg at magellan-technology.com
Tue Apr 24 07:17:07 GMT 2007

Hi,

Drives are coming up as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

my partitions are as such.
/dev/md0 (/dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1)  - /boot - 150MB
/dev/md1 (/dev/sda2, /dev/sdb2)  - swap - 2GB
/dev/md2 (/dev/sda3, /dev/sdb3)  - / - 464GB

I just went into the bios and changed the SATA mode from compatible to
Enhanced. I left the SATA RAID disabled and enabled SATA AHCI booted and
was able to unplug the device without the system hanging, the mdadm
monitor process also told me the raid had failed!

However cat /proc/mdstat showed that one of the raid arrays was still up
and running. /dev/md1 still had UU status. This is the drive with the
swap partition on it. No swap was in use. Seeing the drive didn't
actually exist in /dev I couldn't do a
mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --fail /dev/sdb2

I plugged the drive back in and the drive came back up as /dev/sdc  ...
not /dev/sdb which originally was. I rebooted and it came back up as
/dev/sdb.

When a drive fails will I somehow need to notify udev that it has been
removed?

--
Steve