[clug] "Trusting" a remote machine booting from a CD [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Roppola, Antti - BRS Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Mon Apr 23 02:23:43 GMT 2007

Tony wrote:

> Yeah, I thought of this.  The issue is more protecting the data that
> the machine will have access to.

Assuming a SETI at Home sort of thing were 3rd parties make changes to your
data, build enough redundancy to implement parity and wear the
inefficiency of having each portion calculated several times?

Keep changes in a revision control system, conduct random checks on a
subset of calculations and roll back any transaction that smell?

Once upon a time, the only way my bank would let me do online banking
was to download a huge, statically compiled lump. Presumably for similar
reasons. Interesting that they gave up on that idea.

Antti

------IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF
------