[clug] "Trusting" a remote machine booting from a CD [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Mon Apr 23 01:27:37 GMT 2007

Roppola, Antti - BRS wrote:
> Impossible? Failed? http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tpm
>
> Even the XBox360 has proven to be reasonably resliient.

Only by a hugely complicated and wasteful set of hardware hacks.
Concealed ROMs, special boot procedures, hypervisors, etc.  If you can't
control the hardware, then you can kiss any chance of securing the
system goodbye.  If anyone can put that CD in another running computer
and start reverse engineering it, then it effectively has no security.

> OTOH, anything that needs this sort of effort to secure will probably
> warrant a similar effort to break in.

That's why I come to the conclusion that giving them no reason to 'break
in' in the first place makes more sense.

Have fun,

Paul