[clug] Linux friendly network IP camera

Pietro Abate Pietro.Abate at anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 18 06:52:06 GMT 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 04:38:08PM +1000, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> Does anyone have a recommendation for network (wireless preferred but
> not necessary) network IP camera that plays with linux linux nicely?

Any axis cameras, even if a bit pricey should work out of the box...
If they are standalone ip-cameras should play nicely with any os.
but be careful : http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/81/42/

If you choose a cheaper option, any webcam attached to a linux box can
do the trick. There are also very nice tools with motion detection and
other features. "motion" [1] to mention the one I'm currently using.

> Also, a bit off topic, but does anyone know what the laws are
> regarding use of web cameras on private property and also in
> circumstances where there may be some coverage of public areas (say
> outside the front of a a house). No audio would be recorded, nor would
> the video stream be publicly available.
I reckon it's ok unless a band start playing outside your house and
then sue you for copyright infringement :)

pp

[1]: http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

--
++ Blog: http://blog.rsise.anu.edu.au/?q=pietro