[clug] PC Forensics / Fun

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Tue Apr 3 14:27:59 GMT 2007

For those who are interested there is currently an official forensic recovery
challenge here:

http://www.dfrws.org/2007/challenge/index.html

Basically the challenge is a 300mb image with no file system. There are lots of
different file types and your task if you choose to accept it is to recover as
many files as possible off the image. The files are generally heavily
fragmented. This year you must produce a working tool to automatically recover
the files.

Running photorec against this image will not get you that far - photorec does
not handle fragmentation. Although its not too bad with mp3/mpgs because those
files can generally be chopped arbitrarily (players know how to resync to the
stream with little fuss).

The purpose of the challenge is to further the state of the art research in
this area - so if you feel up to it... The plus side is that lots of tools
should come of it too. There are about 3 months left. (Due july I think).

I am ashamed to admit that I have been addicted to this task for the last few
months :-D

Michael.