[clug] CLUG site

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Wed Sep 13 22:52:18 GMT 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 09:00:46PM +0000, mikey at ozgamer.net wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2006, at 00:49, Pascal Klein wrote:

>> Throw on a wordpress blog -> 10 minutes of editing

> That's Wordpress spelt, "pwnt".

> Make sure you find someone willing to dedicate all the time that's
> needed to monitor the Wordpress site for security updates, and has
> weekends free to restore from backups when the site gets vandalised/
> cracked/comment spam.

That first is indeed an issue, sadly. (And that reminds me, I'm a
version behind myself...)

> It may just be a comment on the people I've seen running them in the
> past, but I can't remember a site that I was aware was running
> Wordpress that wasn't at some stage vandalised to become a propaganda
> site for some Turkish political movement, or being used as a link
> spam site to boost the Google ranking for someone's c1al15/V1 at gra shop.

I'm having quite good success with Spam Karma 2 on mine... I don't
think I've seen a spam get through to being displayed in a long time.

Of course, I've still got spambots boosting my post-views, but I don't
mind since that makes it look like people actually visit my blog.

http://blog.tbble.net/

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/