[clug] linux on laptops

Steve Walsh Steve at nerdvana.org.au
Wed Sep 6 02:25:50 GMT 2006

I'm running a Toshiba A100/600 and it's been absolutely rock solid for me under
kororaa, Fedora and vanilla gentoo. Accessing the BIOS is a snap, as is
selecting the boot device. My only beef was some fardnarkling to get the wifi
working, which I understand now Just Works(tm) for most distro's.

First thing I did was shrink the NTFS partition from 60Gb to 10Gb, then threw
linux on it. After that, it pretty much Just Plain Worked(tm).

Even with a Core Duo, a bigger HDD and a larger screen, it still weighs in at
nearly half as much as my previous laptop, a Dell Inspiron 510.

If she does need to run windows, you can always make up a vmware instance for
the critical apps, which still has a pretty snappy response thanks mainly to the
core-duo.