[clug] Trump Telstra once and for all

Andrew Goodall andrew at fumpet.net
Tue Oct 10 22:48:16 GMT 2006

On 10/10/2006, at 10:48 PM, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 09:28:22PM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
>
>> My Marconi can sustain two video streams (8Mb/s each?) and my
>> 512kb IP
>> connection running flat-out simultaneously.
>
> The video streams are normally 4 Mb/s. I think Fox Sports used to
> go up
> to 6Mb/s, and that is (I believe) the limit of the MPEG-2 decoder
> in the
> Motorola.

Some of the video streams are up around 8 Mbit/s.

> I _think_ it used to be possible to squeeze three lower-bitrate
> channels
> through an ISG, but it seems that's been blocked on the network now,
> from discussions on this list.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Its the Ethernet data that
we were testing limits on. You're correct in pointing out that you
can push heaps of video traffic down the ISG.

TransACT imposed a two-stream limit on the ISG a couple of years ago
in the interests of limiting access network bandwidth contention.
Prior to that I had also seen towards half a dozen streams through
the ISG.