[clug] Re: Why switch to Linux?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Nov 10 06:09:33 GMT 2006

Alex Satrapa wrote:

> >Too late, this is actually being introduced already in Ubuntu as of
> >Edgy, its not too helpful yet but once enough people have given
> >their opinion I guess it will make it a lot easier to use, ...
>
> Last time I looked, there was no way of doing, for example "apt-cache
> show-changelog xyz-package" which would give me a list of the changes
> since my currently installed version - ie: a means to answer the
> question, "do I really need to upgrade this package?"

Look at apt-listchanges, which admittedly only shows you the changes
after the package has been downloaded.  There's also the web site
changelogs.debian.net which allows you to look at the changelog for a
given Debian package.  The Ubuntu update tool also has an option to show
the changelog, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Cameron