[clug] Re: Why switch to Linux?

Robin Shannon robin at shannon.id.au
Thu Nov 9 15:45:51 GMT 2006

On 09/11/06, John Fletcher <fletchnet at internode.net.au> wrote:
<snip />
>  Also
> there's a skills issue - people conceive that open source is "the next big
> thing" and we could suggest that it's a great idea to get involved now and
> as a bi-product, build your skills in something that could eventually be
> useful in your job or wherever else.

Definitley. That is something which actually sells Linux rather than
just compares it to windows like most of the rest of the stuff
mentioned so far (not that that stuff isn't important, it's just that
we need to show not only how it is as good as windows but also how it
is better). What else is cool about linux? Can anyone think of some
piece of important software that is only available on Linux? Is there
something really cool thing that linux can do that windows/MacOS X
can't? MythTV sounds good, but i haven't played with it myself. It's
easy to set up an old box to be a webserver over a DSL line. Is there
any out of the box sort of websever set ups that non-geeks could deal
with? Can anyone else think of real KILLER apps?

paz,
-rjs.

--
Hit me: <http://robin.shannon.id.au>