[clug] Re: Recommendation for dual Xeon (dual core) M/b and RHEL4 please (linux Digest, Vol 47, Issue 2)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 23:23:53 GMT 2006

HI all,

> Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 07:41:13 +1100
> From: Stephen Hodgman <steve at namsys.com.au>
>
> We have a need to build some systems that are dual Xeon (dual core)
> systems running Redhat Enterprise Linux 4.  This is essentially
> equivalent to Centos 4
> We have been delivered SuperMicro X7DAL-E M/b that we were assured
> worked!  These are ATX formfactor rather than the extended ATX
> which is
> attractive.
> However, while we can run single CPU (standard) kernel the SMP kernel
> panics everytime.
> Kernel is 2.6.42
> The error is "failed to sync" but sometimes it just stops at the
> screen with the "Redhat nash...." line
> We also sometimes get an error about "losing ticks" and a problem with
> "TSC syncronization".

	Yick! In my personal experience, I've only had panics when I'm using
a less-than-appropriate kernel module or the kernel is targetted at a
more-capable CPU than what I'm running on (e.g. 686 code on a pre-
Nehemia C3 CPU). Maybe "/proc/cpuinfo" might give you some leads?
	FWIW, nash is the redhat-developed initrd shell. I suspect (but
don't know for sure) the name might be an acronym of "Not a shell".
It's incredibly simple and cut-down with the express purpose of
running discovery/setup operations inside the initrd phase of the
Redhat boot sequence. It should be common between boot-modes (smp/
uni) and is probably targetted at i386.

> Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:16:19 +1100
> From: Leo Kliger <lkliger at bigpond.net.au>
>
> - Perhaps it's a hardware issue.... could you try installing FC6
> and see
> if boots and then perhaps runs for 24 hours.

	Yeah, I would try something pretty "everything friendly" like Ubuntu
(try booting the live CD). I don't know for sure, but I'd hope it'd
recognise the CPU arrangement and use an SMP kernel.

> - If you are installing RHEL4 can we assume that this is a "Red Hat
> Network" subscribed system? What do Red Hat support say?

	That too.

Hope that helps.

M0les.