[clug] trouble unmounting /var on production system

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 14 06:19:43 GMT 2006

Tony and Robyn Lewis wrote:

> My overnight musings lead me to the idea of simply commenting out the
> mount statement for /var, and rebooting, resizing, (checking),
> uncommenting the mount statement, and rebooting.

This works, with one major caveat: your first initial "init 6" or
"reboot" may not work.  On the test box (where I could see the console),
it "hung" at stopping the RAID monitoring.  Probably something to do
with the fact the service wouldn't start without the proper /var, and so
shutting down didn't happen smoothly.

So long as you're not too keen, and you *don't* log out straight after
your init or reboot command, your shell is still alive.  A second
"reboot" (not "init 6" in this case") fixes it and actually reboots

Tony