[clug] Webcams and SIP VoIP

Leigh Purdie intersect at gmail.com
Wed May 10 01:16:24 GMT 2006

> 1.  Can anyone recommend a webcam that will work well with Linux?  Any I
> should avoid?   I'm currently using kernel 2.6.14 (KDE on Gentoo)

The creative webcam 5 works nicely. Not sure if it's still available though.
The logitech quickcam express (harris technology @ fyshwick) works ok - not
as nicely as the creative (colours seem out).

2.  I'm looking for VoIP software that uses SIP.  Should also support
> videoconferencing.

Two viable options at this point in time - wengophone and ekiga.
Wengophone is a bit flaky, but wengophone-ng looks promising (windows
versions also available if you want to recommend something to windows-locked
relatives).

Ekiga seems to work ok on ubuntu dapper beta reasonably well.

Regards,

Leigh.