[CLUG] new livecd synopsis/review

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Fri Mar 31 11:56:30 GMT 2006

On 31/3/06 10:16 PM, "freegazer" <freegazer at gmail.com> wrote:
> just a heads up for all the eye-candy junkies out there
>
> Kororaa livecd
:D
> General:
> this is a Gentoo based livecd that loads to ram by default
> runs a very basic Gnome desktop
Actually, it only loads various components into ram, the rest, uncluding
/usr, are left readonly. If the whole thing loaded into ram you'd need 2Gb
ram ;) The minimum seems to be 384, as 0.1 loads 128MB odd into ram. This
might drop to 256MB if it was running from hdd instead of cd.
> this is however offset by the fact that the Xserver uses xgl graphics
> i've seen video before of Enlightenment-17 that has many similar abilities
> this is a very nice preview of what the new X servers will be bringing to
> desktops based on the new direct rendering techniques.
Yeah it's pretty cool. It works with e too afaik ;) You could think of it as
a 3D extension on top of X. Compiz allows all the fancy stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xgl
> Bad:
> a little warning ahead of time it is ram intensive and for whatever reason
> it seems to be missing many dependencies, kernel modules don't load
> automatically,
Hmm.. This is strange.. What modules weren't loading? Or are you referring
to not auto detecting all your devices on boot up?
>there also seems to be some monitors that it doesn't quite
> seem to work well with.
What monitors were you trying on? Maybe it was the video card? 0.1 only
supports nvidia and ati (fglrx) atm.
> Good:
> OMG!!!
> this is some sweet easy eye-candy!
> if doesn't work on the first system you try it on - try it on another, and
> another!
> this is too good to miss out on!
:)
> Conclusion:
> When you find a computer this bad boy runs on it is a thing of beauty. Keep
> it on hand for the next time somebody starts saying that the Linux desktop
> is behind the times or to slow or not ready for "real use". This is also the
> one to have running when you want to grab some attention.
:)
> Score:
> I dunno, spell-check keeps telling me I type with ten thumbs so I will give
> this one 6 of them ( I like the cube-style desktop switching )
> 6/10
Sweet ;) If only I could get fglrx to work without seg faulting the kernel
we'd be ready for another release.. :(

-c