[CLUG] new livecd synopsis/review

freegazer freegazer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 11:16:37 GMT 2006

just a heads up for all the eye-candy junkies out there

Kororaa livecd
General:
this is a Gentoo based livecd that loads to ram by default
runs a very basic Gnome desktop
this is however offset by the fact that the Xserver uses xgl graphics
i've seen video before of Enlightenment-17 that has many similar abilities
this is a very nice preview of what the new X servers will be bringing to
desktops based on the new direct rendering techniques.
Bad:
a little warning ahead of time it is ram intensive and for whatever reason
it seems to be missing many dependencies, kernel modules don't load
automatically, there also seems to be some monitors that it doesn't quite
seem to work well with.
Good:
OMG!!!
this is some sweet easy eye-candy!
if doesn't work on the first system you try it on - try it on another, and
another!
this is too good to miss out on!
Conclusion:
When you find a computer this bad boy runs on it is a thing of beauty. Keep
it on hand for the next time somebody starts saying that the Linux desktop
is behind the times or to slow or not ready for "real use". This is also the
one to have running when you want to grab some attention.
Score:
I dunno, spell-check keeps telling me I type with ten thumbs so I will give
this one 6 of them ( I like the cube-style desktop switching )
6/10