[clug] Selling a PC and getting a laptop

Leo Kliger lkliger at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 12 10:22:56 GMT 2006

Hi Brian,

Have you actually used a Pioneer notebook with Linux running on it?

I recently tried to help someone running FC4 on a late model Pioneer and
to cut a long story short:-
- It seemed that there is an interrupt conflict issue (between the
graphic adapter and network card when applying open source (from Livna)
or proprietary drivers from Nvidia) that can't be corrected because your
locked out of the BIOS.
- It also appears that Pioneer falsely claim to support Linux (Linspire)
on the particular model supplied and that the website of the Linux
distro (Linspire) they claim to pre-load didn't even list them as a
Vendor on the compatibility list (when I last look)!!!
- Locally Pioneer claimed that nobody has ever ordered Linspire or run
Linux to there knowledge.
- Internationally Pioneer didn't or couldn't help.

Eventually the notebook was returned and my acquaintance switched to a
HP nx8220 with which he claims to be quite pleased.

Hope this helps,

Leo