[clug] Selling a PC and getting a laptop

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Sun Mar 12 06:40:36 GMT 2006

Pascal,
  I have an inspiron 1150 - a really old bottom of the rangle laptop. I am happy
with it so far everything seems to work - acpi s3 is really important to me. Also
over 5hr battery is good (opt for the larger battery - its worth it). I dont really
like the wide screen format because it means the screen is shorter and wider than
normal - which means you can fit less lines of codes on the screen at once. Since i
cant think of anything worse than watching a dvd on a laptop it seems to make very
little sense to me to get a wide screen format.

  The only trouble with it seems to be a broken keyboard just recently - hopefully
dell will replace it quickly. (fingers crossed). Could be an opportunity to test
their service dept too :-).

  My other dell laptop is much more expensive model(m70) - but I dont like it as
much since it has a wide screen format, no working S3 suspend and short battery
life. In my opinion a cheap laptop that works well is much better than an expensive
laptop with complicated hardware which doesnt work fully. For example the M70 has an
nvidia chipset, but the binary driver does not do suspend, and the open source
driver is very too slow. The inspiron has an intel chipset which is very good for 2d
presentations and the like.

Michael.