[clug] Elphel Open-Source Video Camera

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 21 01:59:16 GMT 2006

Ben wrote:
> After reading about the Linux Learners Group, I've been inspired to
> take up a project I was thinking about a while ago: Instructional
> Videos, for computer basics (that only use open-source software).
Great idea, Ben!  There are already quite a few tutorials for various
stuff on Google Videos; I thought it could be a really great project for
the CLUG to put out some simple videos as part of the Linux Learners
Group (or whatever we end up calling it).  There's got to be some
open-source way to read the framebuffer and write it out into a movie
file, so you could have a picture-in-picture of the actual screen
overlayed on the video of the person doing the tutorial stuff (hands
moving, etc) as well as looking at the camera for talking-head shots.

It would also be interesting to get together with one of the media
studies groups at e.g. Canberra University to get the editing done as a
student project.  I'm sure the faculty is always looking for interesting
projects for their students to do, and they have the experience with
what's good and bad in video presentations and how to make it come
alive.  If you could then get them to do the editing with e.g. Kino,
Jahshaka, or Cinelerra, then the whole thing could be done with open
source tools.  That would be teh cool.

Have fun,

Paul