[clug] Postscript Graphing Library for programming

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Jun 19 04:44:01 GMT 2006

Paul Wayper wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> I thought I'd put out a request to the Lazyweb for information about
> drawing graphs (bar charts, line charts, etc) in a program (e.g. in
> Perl) that can be output directly to a printer.

matplotlib - http://matplotlib.sf.net/

It's Python, not Perl, but that can only be a good thing ... right? ;-)

It's dead easy to code for (there's an interface reminiscent of matlab -
hence the name - as well as an object oriented Python interface for when
you need to do something more complicated) and it outputs your choice of
EPS, SVG, PNG (at whatever resolution) as well as being able to show
plots interactively using GTK.

Cameron (who isn't getting any kickbacks from the matplotlib
developers, honest!)