[clug] LLG idea - minutes

Neill Cox neill at ace-hosting.com.au
Thu Jun 15 01:19:36 GMT 2006

This all sounds really cool and I'd like to be involved, but I think I may
be to much of a GNU fanatic :)

Seriously, I'm on the Free Software end of the spectrum not the Open
Source end.

Windows XP/Vista probably works better for most people than Linux does
right now if all you care about is pragmatism.

Linux comes into it's own when you care about freedom and control.

I'm not interested in promoting Open Source.  I am keen to promote Free
Software and I think it's important to make the distinction from the
beginning.

Open Source is an engineering discipline.  The argument for it is that it
produces better software.

Free Software is a philosophy.  It deals with questions of control -
should you control your computer or should the companies that sell you
software and/or content? For free software it's nice that sharing source
code produces better software but it's not the point.

If all you want is for people to escape Microsoft they might as well buy a
Mac.  The question is why do you think they should use Linux?  For me the
answer is that it gives them back the control that Microsoft and Apple are
trying to take away from them.

If you think this view fits wuth what you are trying to achieve I'd be
happy to help.  If not, then I wish you the best of luck anyway.  After
all I started out as an Open Source type myself!